* Upcoming event: 2011 Samuel Dash Conference on Human Rights: The Role of Accountability in Protecting Human Rights & National Security (Georgetown, Mar. 15)
Samuel Dash Conference on Human Rights:
The Role of Accountability in Protecting Human Rights and National Security
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 | 9:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Georgetown Law | Gewirz Student Center, 12th floor | 120 F Street NW | Washington, DC
Sponsored by: Georgetown Law’s Human Rights Institute,
Georgetown Law’s Center on National Security and the Law, and Human Rights First
Please register for the conference by clicking here.
9:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
Registration, Breakfast, Welcome
10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Panel 1: Addressing the State Secrets Privilege
· Louis Fisher, Scholar in Residence, The Constitution Project
· Daryl Joseffer, Partner, King & Spaulding LLP; former Principal Deputy U.S. Solicitor General
· Eric Lichtblau, National Security Reporter, The New York Times
· Heather Sawyer, Counsel, House Judiciary Subcommittee on Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties
· Moderator: Laura Donohue, Associate Professor and Acting Director, Center for National Security and the Law, Georgetown Law
11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Panel 2: Pursuing Accountability for Human Rights Violations in the National Security Context: Domestic, Regional, and International Strategies
· Katherine Gallagher, Staff Attorney, Center for Constitutional Rights
· James A. Goldston, Executive Director, Open Society Justice Initiative
· Ben Wizner, Litigation Director, National Security Project, American Civil Liberties Union
· Moderator: Melina Milazzo, Pennoyer Fellow, Human Rights First
1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Lunch Remarks by Robert F. Muse, Partner, Stein, Mitchell & Muse LLP
2:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Panel 3: Accountability for Private Security Contractors
· Ilona Cohen, Majority Counsel, Senate Committee on Armed Services
· Mark DeWitt, Deputy General Counsel and Vice President of Government and Regulatory Affairs, Triple Canopy
· Richard Fontaine, Senior Fellow, Center for a New American Security
· Jason Pielemeier, Special Advisor, Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor, U.S. Department of State
· Moshe Schwartz, Specialist in Defense Acquisition Policy, Foreign Affairs, Defense, and Trade Division, Congressional Research Service
· Moderator: Devon Chaffee, Advocacy Counsel, Human Rights First